1. Our History – Briefly
The airplane modeling club was founded in September 1963 in what was then the Pioneer House (Uttörőház). This club is the bases of today’s organization.
Received technical accreditation by the end of the year – in November.
Became an independent club in January 1, 1968. (MHSZ XVI. ker. Uttörőház Modellező Klub)
In those years it became apparent that a small pioneer club was able to rise to the level of the clubs that were managed by the district - based on the results. At this time the club was elevated to group “A”, the same level as the other clubs (This classification is equivalent to NB-1 – of the more than 500 clubs we were among the first 12!)
The Pioneer House could not provide financial support, neither did the MHSZ provide more than the basic materials, and for this reason the club looked for other income in the second half of 1970. With approval the club contracted for jobs – the club had income. In the interest of continued contracting for jobs – as soon as it was possible, in the fall of 1987 – the club formed an independent sport organization to the surprise of of the then leadership in place.
Organized by our current name – Cavalloni Ferenc Sport Association – the club became independent on December 10, 1987. The 19 founding members were members of the MHSZ XVI. ker. Uttörőház Klub. Later this organization - October 1, 1991 – took over the entire club since the MHSZ was dissolved.
Between the two dates – on paper – two clubs operated jointly: the XVI. ker Uttörőház Klub, and the Cavalloni Ferenc Sport Association (Airplane Modeling Club).
2. Our Namesake: Dr. Cavalloni Ferenc
The name Cavalloni Ferenc was chosen from a group of three names at the founding meeting:
By the rememberence of his one time student, Dr. Benedek György, on the 50th anniversary of his death.
* * * * *
[...] At this time there was a magical interest, in the circle of the interested young generation, about the professors who were engaged in teaching science. And this was Dr. Cavalloni Ferenc. Scientist, reseacher, professor, educator and youth counsellor, all in one person, his enthusiasm was based in his committment to the technical education of the young generation.
He was able to integrate in a wonderful way the scientific views of the present with the intellectual values of the past, he was teaching latin also in addition to mathematics and physics.
After graduation from the Pázmány Péter University he also obtained his doctorate in sciences, then he was engaged in atomic research in the laboratory of the world famous professor Bay Zoltan in Szeged, then later in Budapest he worked at the Planetarium. He started his teaching carrier at the Toldy Gymnasium in Buda in 1935, then he continued from 1937 at the Mátyás Gymnasium until his death in 1938.
He was given only a short time, five years, by the Providence for creative work. During this time he produced numerous scientific articles, research papers, writings to promote science, participated in natural science research, released educational film, all in addition to the scheduled lecturing.
His technical education of the youth far exceeded the obligations of merely teaching mathematics and physics. His first order of business, at all of his schools, was to establish youth technical groups. Independent of the state sponsored humanistic oriented self-educational groups he chose such technical topics that generated interest with the youth, primarily flying, that is airplane modeling.
He was able to captivate his students with his method of unraveling the mysteries of aeronautics in self evident experiments, educational films, building model airplanes and flying them.
* * *
Dr. Cavalloni Ferenc would be 80 years old next year, although he has been in his grave for a half of a century. We shall remember with gratitude and respect of the self-sacrificing work of his brief life while he tried, in a visionary way, to educate the youth of our small nation to solve the technical challenges of the next century and all the while maintaining the eternal values of humanity.
Budapest, December 10, 1988
Dr. Benedek Gyorgy
* * * * *
3. Formation of Our Membership
During 1963 – 1968 only the individuals of technical groups who applied in the fall were members. The membership was approximately 40 each year (one year the most applicants were 140 – but most of that was reduced by attrition).
Records of the membership has been maintained only since the formal, independent organization of the club, between 1968 – 1974 the membership data can be provided only through lengthy reseach of the archived records.
Until 1996 the concept of affiliated membership was not known by the club, the total is equal to the competing members.
The above data grafically:
4. Results of Competitions
World and European championships, members of the Hungarian team